This tooth replacement procedure provides the closest match to having a natural tooth. When patients have a missing tooth, this option is the ideal way to restore their smile. Instead of opting for less permanent procedures such as dentures, choose a procedure that lasts a lifetime and are extremely durable. If you suffer from missing teeth, New Hampshire Family Dentistry offers dental implants in Manchester, NH.
What are they?
This procedure can be considered both a cosmetic dental procedure and also a restorative dental service because it restores the function of your mouth and bite but also improves the appearance of your smile. It is a permanent tooth replacement procedure that incorporates a screw-shaped, titanium implant that is inserted into the jawbone. This implant acts as the tooth root, creating a durable base for the prosthetic tooth that is attached to the tip.
Because it is an invasive procedure, they are more expensive and take longer to complete compared to other tooth replacement options like dentures or bridges. However, they are more durable and natural feeling than other tooth replacement procedures.
This treatment consists of three parts:
- Implant– inserted into jawbone and replaces the tooth root
- Abutment- attached to the tip of the implant and connects the prosthetic tooth to the implant
- Prosthetic– the customized crown that is attached to the abutment
What to Expect During the Procedure
Because it is an invasive procedure, the healing time required makes it a longer process that must be completed in various dental visits.
- During your first visit, Dr. Mandera will numb the tooth and surrounding area with anesthetics then the implant will be surgically inserted into the jawbone. Over time, the implant will fuse with the jawbone during a process called osseointegration. This process can take up to 6 months to complete.
- Once the jawbone has healed and the implant has successfully fused with your jawbone, the tip of the implant will be exposed through a small incision in the gum line. Then, the abutment is attached to the implant. The abutment juts out over the gum line and is used as the attachment site for your prosthetic tooth.
- Depending on your case, our dentist may wait for the gums to heal before placing the crown on the abutment. In this case, a separate dental visit is needed and a temporary crown is made to cover the abutment. Once the gums are healed and ready, our dentist will attach the permanent crown to the abutment.
- After checking for any last minute adjustments, you can enjoy your completely restored smile!
Caring for your new smile
Because of the advanced dental technology we use in our office, you can expect your implant to last a lifetime. Although this procedure lasts a lifetime, it is important to take care of your replacement tooth. Dr. Mandera will schedule regular appointments to monitor the healing progress and check for any complications. Brush and floss the implant daily for healthy oral hygiene. Additionally, avoid smoking, as this can complicate the healing process. Be sure to check out the other dental services that we offer to keep your oral health in optimal shape.
Visit us at New Hampshire Family Dentistry or call us at (603) 625-1877 to learn more about how our Manchester implant dentistry can permanently restore your smile!